Sunday, May 25, 2014

Don't Read This Unless You Are Going To The NC TOGA


You have been warned.  I will NOT repeat NOT ship sewing machines.  Ever.  I WILL show sewing machines on this blog that I am NOT shipping.   And every time I do some idiot chastises me for showing something that they, the entitled-to-everything-in-the-whole-world person CANNOT HAVE.

So go ahead.  Chastise me,  I dare you.  If you do, I will retaliate by taunting you:  Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.  Take that!

(Faithful readers will know all about my sense of humor and will take the above warnings as intended.  As humor.  But I still will not ship sewing machines.  Mwahahahahaha!)

So what, you ask, is the NC TOGA?  First part, easy:  North Carolina.  Second part:  Treadle On Gathering and Academy.  Basically a treadle and hand crank geek fest.  Held in Monroe, NC, June 12-14, 2014.

I have a hopeless addiction to vintage sewing machines.  I can't seem to stop buying them when the price is right, as it so often is.  I love fixing them up.  It is very relaxing and soothing and I can do it while watching TV (OK, listening to TV and glancing at the screen occasionally).  So I end up with a house full of sewing machines,  right now hovering at the 100 machines mark.

Time to clear out some of them.  Here's the deal:  Email me (or post to the NC TOGA group) if you are SERIOUSLY interested.  I don't want to drag a lot of 40 pound machines around for people who are not seriously interested.  But you do NOT have to make a commitment, and I don't take any money until you have seen them in person and made an informed decision.  Give me a code name or nickname and I will post here who has dibs, and who is next in line, etc.  You can even used your real name if you want.

ADDED 06/04/2014:  Two 3/4 Size Singer Cabinets


I have two of these cabinets.  The 3/4 size Singer models 28, 99, 185, and 192 (aka Spartan) fit in them.  I assume a 128 would fit also but I don't have one so I can't swear to it.  These are basic bare-bones cabinets, no drawer, no motor controller bracket.  They do appear to be actual wood (as opposed to particle board) underneath a wood grained laminate veneer.  As with all cabinets, if you put a hand crank on the machine you will not be able to fold the machine down into the cabinet without first removing the hand crank.

BATCH 1:  Untested or Known Issues
Some of this first batch are what is known as "attic fresh", meaning that they are just as I found them.  I might have wiped the spiderwebs off, but they have not been restored, repaired or even cleaned. Some have been cleaned and maybe even used, but have issues revealed below.  I will sell them for what I paid for them. Maybe less, sometimes much less.  And I am not going to tell you the prices here on the blog.  There are lots of reasons for this.  But I WILL tell you on the NC TOGA yahoo group.  The prices are not really a secret, I'm just not publishing them here.

Singer 15-30*.  I think.  Attic fresh.
(Correction:  I have been advised that this is probably a Singer 15-26, 27, 28, or 29 because of the lack of the motor boss.  See comments section.)
I bought this because I wanted to treadle a 15.  Then I got a beautiful 115 with Tiffany decals, and I no longer want this one.  Although there is NO motor boss, there IS a motor.  There is an attachment that connects under the back access plate and holds the motor.  Historically interesting!  At least I found it interesting.  The base is not included, just the head.  Motor and machine untested.  It does turn.

Singer 15-26, 27, 28 or 29.

.
Singer 15-91 with known issues
I bought this way back before I knew what I was doing.  The issues:
  • the bobbin winder pin (the tiny pin that sticks into the notch on the bobbin) is too short.  It's either worn or broken off short.  Bobbins will not seat on it, therefore you cannot wind bobbins on it.
  • I tried to take the cover off the potted motor and snapped off the head of one of the screws that holds it on.
  • the light cover is missing.  the light works, but it gets hot enough to burn you if you reach back there.  AMHIK.
It does run and stitch and the light does work.  I did spend time and money on this one---too much money---and I am letting this one go at a loss.  Could be fixed up (I just got tired of spending money on it) or could be somebody's parts machine.  As long as the parts you are looking for are not the bobbin winder or the light!

Singer 15-91.  Cabinet not included
Singer 306 with known issues
One of my all time favorite machines.  but if you don't know, they take special needles and bobbins.  One needle and one bobbin are in the machine.  Cindy has more.

Issues with this one:

  • Paint job is not lovely.
  • I could not get the bobbin case to adjust.  The screw is frozen.  the bobbin case is common to one type of modern industrial, not particularly expensive, and Cindy does have them.
  • The wiring is absolutely shot BUT it does treadle.  
    • In fact it treadles beautifully and if you are looking for a treadle-able machine that will not only zig-zag but do all the other construction and decorative stitches that you can get with flat cams, this one is a good choice.
    • I treadled it using a bobbin case from another 306 that I have.  You may not be able to test it to your satisfaction with the bobbin case it has.  But the price is quite reasonable even considering buying a new bobbin case.

Singer 306. Zig-Zag cam will be included.
Singer 285
What are the issues?  It's a 285, isn't that enough of a problem?  I will only sell this to someone who promises NOT to use it on a regular basis, lol.  You can read about the funky drive train in this post.
In that post I converted it temporarily to a hand crank.  It has been converted back again and has an un-notched hand wheel now.  Original plastic case included.

Singer 285.  Yes, it IS cute.  But trust me, it is a horrible machine.

A couple of Singer 328s.
These were also midrange machines.  I love the space age styling, I think they are just as good looking as the Rocketeer. I have heard that they can be treadled with some adaptation but they have internal motors and I won't be able to give you any advice about the adaptation, which I have never tried.  Take Singer flat cams and a zigzag cam will be included.  No base or case.

The photo shows a mocha one.  My notes on that one say "excellent straight stitch, thread breaks when zigzagging".  I never got back to fixing that.

 I also have a battleship grey one but don't have a photo of that one.  Untested.  Bobbin cover spring is missing.

Singer 328, mocha


BATCH 2:  THE GOOD STUFF
These are good or even fabulous machines that I have at one time been in love with.  (I fall in love too easily...)  But I may have found even better ones of the same model or I am just running out of room.  These have all been cleaned, oiled, lubed and tested.  All function correctly.

INTEREST EXPRESSED:  by mabyars (first), and bluedasher01 (second).  I will be bringing it unless mabyars picks it up in advance of the TOGA.
Wheeler and Wilson #8
Love this machine.  Cleaned and serviced (by me) and runs beautifully.  I just have too many treadles and this one does not have sentimental value.  I think I have priced it reasonably considering the fact that it includes a complete set of glass presser feet (one is chipped, not the straight stitch foot) and TWO DOZEN needles.  No extension table, no bonnet.  No decals.  Lots more information and photos in this previous blog post.  You'll also find the youtube videos I made of both the upper and bobbin threading.  This is the only treadle I am selling.

Wheeler & Wilson No. 8


Singer 348
I sewed on one of these for over 40 years and I love this class of adorable light turquoise Singers.  But they were created as mid-range machines and just don't have the power of the higher end Singers or the postwar Japanese machines.  Much as I love them, when I show them side-by-side with better machines they fail to impress either me or the customer.  But during that 40 years I hemmed jeans, made canvas tote bags, repaired tent zippers, and did all the things that the stronger machines do.  Not bad machines, just not top-of-the-line.

Turquoise plastic "carrying" case and zig-zag cam included.  You do know better than trying to carry it by the handle, right?  Not treadle-able.

Singer 348


Singer 337
Same class as the 348 but straight stitch and zig-zag only.  Turquoise plastic "carrying" case included.  Not treadle-able.



Adler Belvedere
I think this is the coolest looking machine I have ever seen and this one is functioning correctly.  It does have a plastic gear deep inside which may break at any time.  The camstack appears to be fine.  And although it LOOKS like it has an internal motor, it actually has an external motor with a cover hiding it.  Therefore it MAY be treadle-able but I have not investigated that.


Adler Belvedere

SPOKEN FOR:  Singer 177
A Brazilian Singer zig-zagger that CAN be treadled.  In fact I recommend it, because the squeaky motor is obviously underpowered.  All functioning correctly however.  No case or base.  More info and photos in this previous blog post.

Singer 177.  Base not included.  Put it in a treadle for Pete's sake!

BATCH 3:  THE MONEY SPINNERS
Toga-teers will notice that the prices are significantly higher for these machines.  That's because I'm pretty sure that they would sell for decent prices on CraigList and then I would not have to haul them to Monroe.  But if you want them and you think the price is reasonable, I would be happy to bring them for your consideration.

SOLD in advance of the TOGA, pending receipt of the $$.
BelAir Bantam
Lots more detail and photos in this previous blog post.  All of the stuff shown there (accessories, case) comes with the machine.  And it really is this pretty.

BelAir Bantam

Singer 15-125
This model is the same thing as a 15-91, in a prettier dress but with the same potted motor.  Nice machine.  More info and more photos in this post.

Singer 15-125
Singer 66.
A later model with back tack.  Nice and shiny.  Treadle-able.

Singer 66.  Case not included.  Plastic cases are not sturdy enough for 40 lb. machines anyway.



And, just to taunt you
SPOKEN FOR:  Kenmore Model 11
This one has been spoken for since my Christmas sale.  But she COULD change her mind.  I added the hand crank (painted it too) and it also comes with its original motor, case and accessories.

Kenmore Model 11

Please remember, I am NOT bringing these unless someone expresses serious interest.  Serious, as in, you are looking for one of these and will probably buy it unless it fails to live up to your expectations.  They have all been sitting for a while, so some oil and a test session are definitely indicated.  I will NOT be upset if you ask me to bring it and then don't buy it.  As long as you were serious in the first place.

Accessories, cases, bases, only included if they are specifically mentioned above.

I will be bringing some hopefully-fixables to Ray White's class and those may be for sale also.  For now those will remain a mystery however.


7 comments:

  1. Lovely machines. I can admire from afar. Love the Bel Air machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Cheryl, that 15-30 is probably a 15-26 or 15-27 or 15-28 or 15-29, because it doesn't have the motor boss. I have one, too, had thought to make it a handcrank and surprise! no motor boss. McKenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl- hope you got my message that I want the 177. Di in TN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for letting me gawk at your lovely machines! I can only dream: next year in NC!
    (whose family is probably happy she lives too far away)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested in the Wheeler and Wilson. I'm sending my hubby to the NCTOGA. I'm in SC and could pick it up sooner if you aren't too far away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WW 8 is a dream to sew on. I had no trouble parting with my #5 or #9, but think I'll be buried with the #8.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the WW8. I am already anticipating this one going on my list of legendary machines that I have loved and lost (sold) with the Pfaff 1221 and the Lady Kenmore 89. But with close to 100 machines in the house and 9 of them treadles, some of them just have to move on!

      Delete

I want to hear from all of you who want to talk about sewing and sewing machines, so please leave a comment. I will be approving all the posts before they go public. This will weed out all the people who just want to sell you something. Or worse, capture you and use your info for nefarious purposes.