Thursday, September 3, 2009

Stargate Quilt


Stargate Quilt
When Patty and Len got married I promised them a Stargate quilt. We are all big fans of the show. It took me several years, but I finally finished it in time to take it up there for my nephew's wedding.


The top photo shows the front of the quilt. If you don't know the show, the Stargate opens with a whoosh and allows you to travel to stargates on other planets.


The back of the quilt is in an informal strippy style with several Egyptian themed fabrics and leftover fabric from the whoosh.


Many thanks to the Stargate fans at the SyFy bulletin board.  I asked them for help early in the project design phase, and they responded generously.  At that time I planned to embroider sayings on the quilt, but when it came down to it, simple names worked better in the design. 

I hope they will agree about the design and forgive me for asking them for help and then not using their suggestions except for one or two, such as "Ya Think?"  and the title of the quilt is "Indeed".  Thanks again, folks, you were great.

My favorite part of the quilt has got to be the chevrons.


They are three-dimensional because they are attached only at the top and bottom, which gives them a bit of depth.  I found just the right fabric for the glowing part.  The photo also shows embroidery details that mimic the details of the gate, and the embroidered gate symbols.  My thanks here go to the unknown person who created a TrueType font of the gate symbols and put it up in Wikipedia.  My embroidery machine will do any True Type font.

Finding the font was a huge aid to the project, as was finding the stargate whoosh, a fabric titled "radiant orb", once available from equilter.com.  But sadly, available no longer.

5 comments:

  1. That is just too fabulous for words! Love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing work, I have been looking for inspiration for a Stargate quilt yours is amazing! the details are grate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy COW! What a fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I love this quilt, and would love to do one, is there a pattern available to purchase. Thanking you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pattern is available. I made it up as I went along.

      Delete

I want to hear from all of you who want to talk about sewing and sewing machines, so please leave a comment. I will be approving all the posts before they go public. This will weed out all the people who just want to sell you something. Or worse, capture you and use your info for nefarious purposes.